Support Center

I Filed the Wrong SSN/EIN, What Do I Do Now?

Last Updated: Apr 19, 2016 10:58AM CDT
When you create a 1099 form, you can choose to schedule a future date for the IRS to receive the form. This is useful when you accidently enter the wrong EIN or SSN, as you can just edit the form before the scheduled date. If you filed a form and you did schedule the forms to go out on a different day, you can edit the form for free by following these steps. 
  • Login to your Tax1099 account
  • Go to Forms -> Manage Forms
  • Select the Payer and Tax year
  • Find the recipient you want
  • Click on the action dropdown box
  • Click on edit form
  • Change whatever you need on the form then press save
If you take these steps you can edit the form before the IRS ever sees it.

But if you did not schedule out the 1099, and it has been submitted to the IRS, and you made a mistake on the SSN or EIN, you will need to do a correction. The wrong EIN or SSN could belong to someone so it is very important to file a correction and zero the balance you reported before. 
  • On the left click on forms -> new form
  • Chose the tax year and tax form
  • Select the Payer and Recipient (with the incorrect EIN/SSN)
  • Check the box at the top of the form that says corrected
  • Put in 0.00 in the boxes you reported before
  • Press save and continue
  • Select the 1099 and submit to IRS

Then secondly you will need to:
  • File another new form>Forms>New Form
  • Select the correct tax year and tax form
  • Select the Payer
  • Click the "Add" button in the recipient box
  • Type in the recipient information. In the SSN/EIN line, enter the correct SSN/EIN
  • Report the income
  • Save and continue
  • Select the form and submit to IRS

Contact Us

  • Call us @ 877-811-ETAX (3829).
    To return to the site, click our logo.

seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found